Oct 25, 2015

USB power plug installation on Yamaha Bolt

Time to install the BurnsMoto USB Power plug. After doing some research I found out that there is a suitable power source inside the headlight bucket.* It is a switched power source meaning that it only provides power when the bikes power is on. I prefer this over hooking the USB-socket straight to the battery mainly because this way I can't accidentally leave things charging and empty the battery.

I know you could also get a compatible plug and use that instead of soldering. That would be he optimal solution. I have found though that a good solder is just about the most reliable way to make connections and so far my soldered joins have never failed.

*supposedly this plug can be used for things like grip heaters so there should be plenty of juice to power GPS devices, phones etc.

THIS IS WHAT I BOUGHT
WARNING - DISCLAIMER 
This is how I did it. This may not be the correct or best way to go about this. I do not recommend anyone messing with their bike if they don't know what they are doing. This method will DAMAGE the connector inside the headlight bucket.

To get access to the wires unscrew two screw on both sides of the headlight
Unplug the black connector from the headlight (just pull) and the white connector 8there is a small tab, don't just pull)
yamaha bolt aux power connector
The connector you are looking for is tucked next to the black connector 
yamaha bolt aux power connector
This what you will find inside the tape
Some gentle but decisive pulling and the connectors will come out of the plug
Two layers of shrink tubing

Wires ready for soldering. BLACK to BLACK, BLUE/GREEN to RED

First layer of heat shrink tubing

Second layer of heat shrink tubing

I left plenty of wire inside the headlight bucket as I'm installing risers in the near future and maybe even apes if the risers don't do enough. The USB-plug isn't really attached to anything yet, but I'll get to that once the risers are in place.

Yamaha bolt USB power socket

The plug. It has a cap, but the shallow DOF kind of hides it from view

EDIT Feb. 11th

I moved the plug from the bars behind the speedo. The speedo bracket provides a really sturdy mounting point and the plug is tucked away out of sight.





-THE OUTTAKES

I spent some time trying to measure the voltage out of the AUX plug and got nothing. (I wanted to make sure the plug actually provided power before proceeding with the installation) I suspected I may have a burnt fuse, but once I checked the fuse box that didn't seem to be the problem.
I had removed the headlight so I could not see if the headlight was getting power, but as the headlight had worked fine just minutes before I thought it must, but I better make sure... Sure enough, as I fumbled with the white headlight connector with my multimeter probes I managed to cause a short. Once I heard the popping sound I instanly knew I had NOW lost a fuse. To make sure I connected the headlight back on -> no joy. I pulled open the fuse box again expecting to find a blown headlight fuse, but instead I found that my fumbling had blown the 7.5 signaling system fuse. Luckily there was a spare and once I popped that on the headlight was working again.  At this point my head was slowly exiting my a** and I understood to test the plug while the bike was actually running. Heureka! I had power from the socket and I could proceed with the installation

The blown fuse



4 comments:

  1. How would I do this without soldering? Like as a regular guy with regular tools and skills? Can I just splice the wires together and close it up with shrink tubing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you can do that. There are also various different wire joint connector that can be simply squeezed together with pliers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks for that great info. I'd like to do this but the link to the product you bought isn't working. What did you buy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This: https://burnsmoto.com/collections/usb-chargers/products/usb-power-socket-charger-weatherproof

      Delete